Tuesday 2 May 2017

Visual journal - Media experiments and exploration

Working with my spray painted textures. I am just exploring a range of psychedelic outcomes. This double page I have done here is almost like a repeated pattern design that could be applied to products or wall paper. The eyes are suppose to reinforce the trippy concept of psychedelia. Within psychedelic artwork there is a big focus on the use of eyes and I think this is due to the concept of the third eye(eye of the spirit) so I may continue to have this running through my psychedelic experiments.
Again I'm just working with the spray painted textures that I originally played down as a way to try and stimulate some new ideas. With using the panda from my spirit world painting, I have decided to reduce it right down to a simple form. I actually really like this double page and I think it has a very charming aesthetic to it, This is probably my favourite page of experiments. I was originally intending on adding black lines into the rainbow to separate the colours but I have now discovered that the black lines are not always necessary and can over do it. I do think having black lines to separate colour is necessary in some areas but I a snow discovering that in reducing certain elements can really refine an idea or an image.
Having a go at some repeat pattern designs with my existing spirit world characters. I think these could work well with a one colour background texture.
Continuous line cubensis mushrooms 

I have tried to separate the colours of the spray paint texture using black lines. This almost creates a cammo effect that could be applied to clothing. I can imagine this sort of texture to be printed all over a t-shirt. Through random experiments I am able to gain new ideas that can be developed and applied to a range of new outcomes.
This double page is probably the most random of all my experimental pages. I have just combined some colour samples along with some geometric forms. Geometry is actually directly linked to psychedelia as one will usually see many geometric forms during a trip. I have also added the molecular structure of DMT and Psilocybin into this double page to reinforce the concept of entheogen's.
A few weeks ago I did one of my first commission pieces onto a beach buggy. I actually created a new pattern based aesthetic for me to work with. So in this double page I have decided to try and further develop this and have the black pen work onto a coloured background. I think the could makes some interesting outcomes especially if the background was a marbled effect from screen printing. All of these new experiments are giving me new ways I can develop and expand on my existing ideas of psychedelic artwork.

No comments:

Post a Comment