Tuesday 3 May 2016

MF Doom

Metal Face Doom (MF Doom) is a Hiphop recording artist and rapper from New York. I have decided to look at Doom and his mask because just like the V for Vendetta mask, MF Doom uses the famous Marvel character Dr Dooms mask to provide his name with almost an alter ego and an easily recognisable symbol. Anyone who knows MF Doom will always relate him to the mask. So in a way, V and Doom are similar in a sense that they both use the mask to become a symbol. Im aiming to create a similar themed symbol of illustration.

MF Doom is loyal to the mask and basically never takes it off. Without the mask, he has lost his entire identity, infact I imagine that most of his fans would not even know what he actually looks like. This proves that by creating a symbol that you can wear and represent, basically creates an alter ego that is an idea that the public can cling onto and follow.

This was a simplified version of his mask that I found. I think It works well how its just in its basic shapes but it is still easily recognisable. This could make an simple but effective logo that still portrays Doom.

These are some sketches I have done of MF doom. I like the gladiator style of the mask, it really speaks a lot about his persona as a rapper. I may look further into gladiator masks when creating my own.
I decided to try and make the Doom mask in my own style. It is a very monochrome mask so I thought it would be good to see how it looked with abit of colour. I was quite pleased with the outcome, I like how the drip marks and the bold black lines make it pop out, I think this would work well as a sticker or poster design. I also think it could be simplified down maybe sticking to a smaller colour pallet or reducing the black rendered lines down. I may try and create my own mask in this style aswel to give it a psychedelic twist.

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your artwork is being used commercially https://www.whitelotuslife.com/product-page/doom-hoodie

    Did you approve of this?

    ReplyDelete