Wednesday 4 May 2016

Mask development

After researching the importance of illustrated symbols and collecting a body of examples, I thought now was the time to start designing my own mask that could be seen as a symbolic icon. I also realise that this mask has to represent an idea so the public could relate to and follow its cause. So I think for my mask design to really have a voice I will include a third eye. The third eye represents higher levels of consciousness and can be seen as a spiritual concept. I am aiming to get this message across with the mask/symbol that I am designing. Spirituality is a peaceful concept and has the power to connect us all. 
 I am aiming to keep the mask relatively simple, I don't want it to be too overcomplicated and I think for this concept a minimal design may in fact hold more meaning. As long as the third eye is an obvious feature of the mask.
Having a mask that only conceals the section of your face around the eyes could be a powerful design. This would mean that the mask is connecting people through unity but also some facial features will be shown. This could be seen as we are all connected through the mask but we still each hold our own individual qualities.
Looking at venician masks and how they only conceal a section of the face has given me some thought on how the final mask is going to look. The three eyes could also be linked into a triangle and then simplified down to make a simple but effective logo that would work well with the mask and its third eye.
Funky/Psychedelic twist on the mask design. The third eye and psychedelics actually have a lot in common. Psychedelic drugs do hold the potential to help activate a persons pineal gland/third eye. So I may include a psychedelic twist onto my mask that could be used as a poster.


I want my mask to look scary and peaceful at the same time. If the mask is scary or slightly creepy looking, it holds potential power to strike fear, especially if there are multiple people wearing that same mask. So this could create a good combination between being scary and spiritual.


This is a sketch of the final mask design. I have chosen to use a full face design because it holds more power to strike fear. I have chosen to base the shape of the mask around the basic form of the human face but with a few modifications. The smile gives it a creepy atmosphere that could also be seen as peaceful. The third is the most important part of the mask because that is where the idea and the meaning is held. The third eye gives the mask its spiritual essence.


No comments:

Post a Comment