Thursday 5 May 2016

End of module evaluation

1.  What skills have you developed through this module and how effectively do you think you have applied them?
I think that the most important skill I have developed through this module is the knowledge and understanding of symbolic illustration and the role illustration can play during social and political distress. I havent necessarily developed much practical skills during this module and have been more focused on the context of which symbols of illustration can become more than just an image. Context of Practice has helped me see Illustration from a wider perspective and has shown me how important it can be in society. I have tried to apply what I have learned from this by designing my own symbol of illustration in mask form but having new perspectives of the importance of illustration, I am sure this will come in good use for me during next years COP studies.

2. What approaches to/methods of research have you developed and how have they informed your practical outcomes?
The approach to research has really informed this project and has helped it develop. Reading through books, reading articles and watching videos has really helped me gain more contextual knowledge of the subject matter. I would usually not really spend enough time on the research section of a project but this module has helped me realise that the research can in fact be the most important part. So this will inform my practical outcomes in the future because I will have a willingness to spend more time research to develop a much better understanding of the subject matter.

3. What strengths can you identify in your work and how have/will you capitalise on these?
I think that the identifiable strengths that have shown through this module is the content and conceptual subject that is symbols of illustration. I feel that this has been the project that has really helped me understand illustration more and the effects it can have on society. The subject matter for this project has been the most important part and not the illustrations produced, this is because I have adressed a real life topic that exists within society and can also become something that can actually change or unite the people. Symbols of illustration are more powerful in this world that I could have possibly imagined and addressing this subject and becoming more aware of the power it holds has been the most benefiting and strongest part of this module.

4. What weaknesses can you identify in your work and how will you address these in the future?
I think some obvious weaknesses of this module is that I havent invested as much time as I would have liked to. I could have done further research into symbols of illustration that could have inspired some of my outcomes, I also could have done some more experimental work with media or even get some digital images produced. In ways I think I underestimated this module because it has been stretched over a long time, but knowing what I know now, I think it will approach future studies with an eagerness to dive deeper into the reseat phase to fuel my final images, whilst investing a consistent and balanced amount of time to each modules.

5. Identify five things that you feel will benefit you during next years Context of Practice module?
I think next years COP module will really urge and push me to further research into illustration and how it has the power to change the way people think in society, this will only benefit my practice because it will mean I will be a more knowledgeable illustrator. 
Next years module will also help me when it comes to essay writing and will give me the ability to transmute my thoughts into words more effectively. Essay writing has never been my strongest attribute so it would be beneficial for me to develop those skills.
Cop will also help inform my own practice and practical work by urging me to create illustrations that have can convey a meaning or that addresses some kind of subject matter within society.
Next years Cop will also help me to understand illustration from a wider perspective. Ive always been quite narrow minded about drawing and illustration but I do think Cop has helped me realise that illustration is much more meaningful that I originally thought, or at least in some cases can be.
Next years Cop will make me re-evaluate my own practice and how I consider making illustrations. Cop will give me the chance to speak through my own work, I want my work to have a voice that people can understand and relate to. I think the Context of practice module will help me develop this voice.

No comments:

Post a Comment